Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Homemade Sweet & Hot Pepper Relish

There is more to me than juggling tenants and contractors; I love to cook—from scratch. Tenants have been known to linger by my front door, ask what smells soooo good, and then boldly ask for samples. I usually oblige.

A few weeks ago, as I was wandering the supermarket aisles, I admired the very pretty but overpriced delicacies such as roasted peppers or hot pepper relish. As I read the labels on the pricey gourmet jars, then those in the economic section, it wasn’t hard to figure it out how I could make these at home. I picked out a variety of peppers, and please be careful: Do not handle them then touch your face, or eyes!

Now I do not eat hot peppers, but my brother-in-law does. I grew up on very bland cooking, but his mother rocked in the kitchen! I did owe him a big favor and he had earned a great present in return.

As soon as I came back home, I pulled out the cutting board, a ridiculously small food processor and went to work slicing it all up. When I was all done, for less than $3.00, and a few tears shed by me, my brother-in-law was in heaven. This Sweet & Hot Pepper Relish has become a staple in my kitchen, batches have been passed out to friends, and it makes one of our contractors happy to come work here.



Sweet & Hot Pepper Relish pix from the mexicanconnection.com

2 Poblano Peppers (I had listed Pomodoro peppers by error. Sorry.)

6 Chili Peppers

½ Red or Yellow Pepper (for the sweet taste)

½ Red Onion (or Yellow Onion)

5-6 Cloves of Garlic

Salt (I use Sea Salt, table salt is fine)

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (enough to cover peppers)

1 tsp of Red Wine Vinegar (White Vinegar can be used)


When slicing the peppers, remove the centers, veins and seeds

Blend all vegetables in the food processor, a fine chop not a puree

Add a little salt

Pour enough Extra Virgin Olive Oil to cover

Add Red Wine Vinegar

Stir thoroughly

Refrigerate. Good for 2 weeks.

It starts off a little sweet, and then the heat will kick in. Enjoy!


Pix from www.themexicanconnection.com


No comments:

Post a Comment