Search This Blog

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Insomnia is Perfect for This Job

Yes, I have insomnia, partly from when I turned 40ish, partly from interruptions between midnight and 6 a.m. It’s part of the job. Yeah.

This is a 24/7 job, interruptions and problems are just part of it:
  • Dinners will grow cold—or be over cooked.
  • Pipes burst ONLY between 1 and 5 a.m., and when that happens, please call me, no problem! (but that’s a whole ‘nother blog!)
  • Most tenants are considerate and some just never will play nice with others: Accept that fact of life.
Dumb reasons to knock on my door in the wee hours:
  • 6:30 a.m.: I was actually sound asleep, but her phone was dead and she needed to call a cab to get to work. She is a wonderful and hardworking woman. I obliged, then flicked the switch on the coffee pot and laid down until it brewed.
  • 2 a.m.: Dude locked himself out, again. I even gave this guy a hide-a-key magnet case. He placed it in his car. Do ya see the problem with that choice?
  • Gotta any smokes? Not kidding, but I had spotted her party buddies slipping out of the parking lot and I tersely suggested that she should have grubbed from them. She played dumb, I held my ground.
  • Midnight: Ya need quarters for the laundry? Ya don’t work, this is my second job! Most people plan ahead, ya should try that.
  • 7–8 a.m.: Just because I am up and my door is open, does not mean that my freshly brewed pot of coffee is community property. Multiple tenants over the years have mistakenly presumed that I was obligated to be hospitable and would enjoy their company at 7 a.m., oh, and share my pack of smokes.
My Labrador:

Yes, he can open the storm door to let himself in and out, but he cannot manage a deadbolt . . . he’s allowed to wake me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment