Search This Blog

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Music Bullies: Part II

Granted, this tenant actually was a professional musician, and back in the day had been a lead singer for a popular band, however, tenants only rent the INSIDE of their apartment, NOT their neighbors' apartment, nor the whole outdoors.

This request to keep music within their own walls has frequently sparked some heated, Freedom of Speech and Declaration of Rights rebuttals.

Let me state clearly, again:

Tenants pay for the inside of the apartments: their music, TVs, xBoxes, and musical instruments MAY NOT invade thy neighbors apartment. Maybe your neighbors want to enjoy their own shows and music, or even take a nap without your audio invasion.

I know, it is a tough concept.


One fellow, drunkenly argued with me that he was allowed, by law, XX decibels of sound until 10 PM.

I reminded him that I write the leases and that by tomorrow morning there could be a clarifying addendum added to his lease.

There was a stare down.

He backed off, sadly only temporarily. C'est le vie.


Years ago, I rented elsewhere and a new neighbor just loved showing off his sound system: Other neighbors tried to reason and negotiate with him.

I didn’t.

I informed him that his music was blasting in my living room and that his share of rent for my living room would be $$.

That was a concept that he could understand. (Or maybe the fact that my son was still living home and stood 6’2”. Don’t know, just fun to speculate.)

This tenant was paid back in spades, as neighbor above him had a wild, loud party that kept him up most of the night. Yeah! He did behave better after he suffered a lost night’s sleep.


But I digress, back to the musician:

Some days he would stand outside his door and play a few guitar riffs, some tunes and it was actually pleasant, however, some days he placed the speakers outside on the deck, and then sat INSIDE on his living room floor while playing a guitar, that was weird! That fact that he was totally surprised and confused that neighbors objected to his free concerts—well, that was weird too.

We were grateful that his band rehearsals we NOT held here.


I vote for headphones or manners. I do sometimes threaten to break out the Merle, or maybe Kate Smith belting out the Star Spangled Banner (Go online, do a search. Go ahead, ya got time, both musicians are American legends.)


2 comments:

  1. your story is really interesting...there is also a mast story behind 1 BHK in Jaipur

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out your website and pictures of your city, truly breathtaking: the mountains and the architecture are awesome.
    But you wrote that you have a story behind your rentals, tell me some, I will post them and give you full credit. I think our stories are common everywhere.

    ReplyDelete