Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Dog is too “Smarter than a Fifth Grader!”

I’ve heard it said, “Ya can’t teach an old dog new tricks.” Bull, I’ve owned a few old dogs who have proved that theory dead wrong.

My current baby is a Labrador-Rottweiler mix. Yep, 110.6 pounds of pure love. He has the looks and personality of a Lab, always happy, with the body and bark of a Rottie. He has startled more than a few people who knocked on the door looking for an apartment. I usually hand them a few dog biscuits and tell them to toss the treats to the dog and they will be friends for life. Most oblige and laugh, others just stand outside and refuse to come in. (Those seldom end up renting here. C'est le vie.) .

This dog is the complex mascot; he follows me all around and never leaves the property. If he sees me gathering supplies then grabbing the big keys, he is ready to trot out behind me for a day’s work.

I have a self-walking dog! Yeehaa!

However, he has learned a new trick. It used to be, that if he became bored, he would simply trot back to our apartment door and wait outside the door for someone to open it. Not anymore, he has learned to pop that screen door open and let himself back in.

First clue:

I was at the kitchen table preparing dinner; I looked up and saw the dog squeeze in through the door. I called out to my brother-in-law, assuming that he was outside and had let him in. No.

The other day, the dog was supposed to be with my brother-in-law who was working downstairs. As I was in the apartment, working at this computer, the dog suddenly plopped on the floor behind me. I checked the door expecting to find someone, but again no one.

The other day we both watched as the dog simply walked to the door, pushed it open then trotted downstairs to do his ‘business,’ and came back in. Yes, Labs have opposable thumbs. He pulled the bottom of the door wide enough for his nose, then used his nose to shove the door open for his wide-body to squeeze back inside.

My Husky, Bandit

Years ago, I owned a purebred Siberian Husky rescue, a red/white named Bandit, who lived to the grand old age of 17 years: Miss him still.

He played me with two new tricks:

First, this guy was a runner, more than once he slipped out of the backyard, so often that the local pound and I were on a first name basis.

One sunny afternoon, while I was in the kitchen, the dog stretched out on the living room floor, my then 12-year-old son was in/out, in/out all afternoon. The dog was playing possum: he was listening for the screen door latch to fail and sneak out for a run.

The pound called me: They had my Bandit.

Me: “NO, he is sleeping in the living room.”

The Pound: “His tags say differently.”

Me: “Let me go look.”

Me, exasperated, I had no cash on me to pay the fine: “Will ya take a check?”

The Pound: “For you, of course.”

Good for me, as this pound had a cash-only policy.

This same lovely pound tried to offer me a female Husky, as a companion. Heck no, one teenager, one husband, one dog, four cats, and a new vacuum every two years was enough for me!

Same dog, at age 14 learned to fake the ‘potty dance.’ My son was supposed to walk him before school, and I walked him after work. When it was time for me to leave in the morning, the dog would dance by the door with that panicky, “I gotta go” look. But when we got outside, he would merely stroll around, sniff the flowers and want to play.

I was late for work more than a few times before I got wise to that trick.

Support Animal Shelters

Here is the link for the Jersey Shore Animal Shelter, with wonderful videos and pix of animals waiting, some because of Superstorm Sandy. I can’t say enough about this particular shelter, not only did my Bandit end up there whenever he slipped out my door, but they will care for the pets of those who are in Domestic Violence Shelters. I donate blankets and old towels, food my picky eaters reject, and will be the first choice when I want to adopt again.


No comments:

Post a Comment