Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Prospective Tenants: Part 2
A Little Sneaky

When prospective tenants present themselves, there are some very basic, pre-qualifying questions that I try to ask before giving them a tour.

I state the rent, the inclusions (heat, hot water, etc.) and the LEGAL NUMBER OF PEOPLE that may occupy a one-bedroom unit, and that children are considered part of that count: i.e., 2 parents + 1 child = 3. No go.

I always ask prospective tenants, BEFORE giving them a tour, “How many people will be living here?”

Most prospective tenants are upfront and honest about the true amount of people, and I then will direct them to other complexes that will better accommodate their families.

And some think that they can just slide a few extra people past me at the end of the tour.

For example:—Three adults came to the door looking for a rental: A father, a younger man with ear buds plugged in, and a young woman. I apologized to them, stated that we are fully rented, with no known future vacancies, but the older man does ask if he can at least “look at one of the units?”

(BTW, my dinner was on the stove, they just popped by.)

I clearly explained the size of the units and that there is a TWO-person limit. The older man nods as if he understands and agrees, so we all proceed with the tour.

The father explained that he just wants to find a safe place for his daughter and her husband. Finally the two other adults are introduced: The alleged husband is still wearing his ear buds and is rudely indifferent; the young woman has said nothing . . . yet. We discussed the rent, security, amenities, etc., and all is proceeding as expected. However . . .

Now the Sneaky Part:

The young woman perked up, stated that she is very happy with the apartment and began talking about how perfect this would be for her TWO babies.

Excuse me?! I had clearly stated that there are NO vacancies, and that this ‘empty’ unit the woman is so excited about is leased out. However, the woman is declaring that this is perfect and that she will take it.

I repeated, clearly: this unit is taken; that the size of the apartment dictates that only TWO people may live here, FOUR cannot. And that when established tenants have babies, they are eventually required to move out: The Township has its rules.

The father smiled and patronized me as if this was a small, inconsequential detail, ya’know, not a concern; after all, they are just babies, small. They like the apartment, and the fact that this apartment is NOT available is of no concern. They expect to rent it, now.

I politely and firmly suggested other complexes and ushered them out to the parking lot where I bade them good night. Whew.

Sadly, my dinner was still on stove, now cold. No surprise, I’m used to cold and/or over-cooked meals by now, it is part of the territory. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment