Search This Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Sobber...Nails Hammered thru the Bathroom Tile

Nothing, I mean NOTHING, was ever this tenant’s fault: And worse, she could turn on the tears; in fact, I called her “The Sobber.”

Again, she called me upstairs, horribly upset, crying that something terrible has happened, and truthfully I don’t remember the complaint, because all I saw were over a dozen nails inside her shower!

Yep! This person actually HAMMERED NAILS under the edge of the tub-surround, between the tiles!

All I could do was stammer.

Me: “You HAMMERED NAILS thru the grout?! What would possess you to do this?!”

She: “It’s NOT my fault!”

Me, again: “You DROVE nails thru the grout. I have never seen anyone do this before! WHY would you do this?”

She: “It’s NOT my fault!” followed by some long-winded explanation about preventing mildew on her washcloths and towels, which I didn’t hear because my brain froze at the sight of all those nails.

Me: "You cracked the grout and you peeled back the tub-surround! Water will get behind the walls." I then pulled out the cell phone and snapped photos. This, no one will believe.

She: “There’s no damage! Water can’t get back there.”

Me, again: “Really, you forced nails behind the tub-surround and cracked the grout, water WILL get in there.”

She: “No it won’t, the shower doesn’t reach that high.”

Me: “Have you never heard of condensation? The water will travel down the nail, behind the tiles, into the wall, destroy the sheetrock and studs, plus leave rust stains. Are you going to pay for this damage?”

She: “It’s NOT my fault!” Then more blathering about mildew.

Me: Dialed the handyman to get up here NOW: He is not going to believe this either.

And yes, she was a blonde. She had many complaints, all told with heaving sobs, but they were NEVER, EVER her fault!

PS: We knew these people in kindergarten, and they are still turning on the tears to get their way decades later.

No comments:

Post a Comment