Search This Blog

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Dunkin’ Donuts and a Thirsty Labrador

I confess I am addicted to Dunkin’ Donuts coffee: Wawa’s coffee is a close second. If there is a 12-Step program for coffee addiction, I wouldn’t go: It just tastes so good!

In the immortal words of David Letterman,“I drink way too much coffee, but without I have no personality.”

We have two truly great tenants who each manage a Dunkin franchise. They are so sweet, that whenever they ask for a favor, they repay me with a cup of my favorite brew. Aaahh, there are perks working here.

But I digress, my dog is the star here. My baby is a black Lab and Rotweiller mix: 100 lbs. of pure happiness.

So, I had been out running errands with a neighbor, and he treated me to a cup of coffee, plus a Coolata with whipped cream for my housemate. Nice.

When we came home and pulled into the parking lot, I saw that my housemate was sitting outside on the second floor deck with the dog. So I called up to him, told him that we have coffee and that I would slide the two cups under the railing onto the deck.

He didn’t hear me. The dog did.

I placed the coffees on the deck, then turned my back to get the rest of the packages from the car. When I turned around again, the dog had his snout in the Coolata, and was drilling down through the whipped cream. I shouted at him to stop, and the poor thing just looked at me with the most hurt, confused look on his face. It was if he was saying, “What? You put it on the floor right in front of me, what’s wrong?” The dog then dove back for the rest of the whipped cream.

By the time I snatched the cup away from him, the whipped cream was completely gone, nothing but coffee left. I walked up the stairs to the deck, handed what was left of the Coolata to my housemate, and laughed, “Well, its your dog, toss it or drink it, but I’m not sharing my coffee .” My cup had a solid lid, it was pristine.

Yeah, I was mean, but then again, family members are allowed these moments.

Yes, now whenever I bring home a Coolata, the dog gets a dab of whipped cream, only from a spoon, not the cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment