Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Social Pages Blunders

People, puhleese! Must I reiterate the caution that is endlessly repeated in the news and on the Web: Beware what you post on social pages—future employers, creditors and prospective landlords do check! So, if you need to let your freak-flag fly, use a pseudonym! Some good names would be: BeerGoggleDaddy; JoseCuervoFan; or ManWithoutAClue.

Now I don’t look up everyone who applies, just those with red flags. It is understood that if I have a red flag regarding an applicant, or the business manager (who is second-in-command to the building owners) asks me to check, we are merely looking for confirmation of what we already suspect about you: That you are probably a very poor risk.

So along comes this applicant, recommended by another tenant (first flag). He is rude to the business manager (second flag).

Rumor is that he needs a place for himself, his wife, his son and grandson (third flag).

This is a one bedroom apartment.

I recognize the name as possibly that of an old neighbor from many years ago.

I checked Facebook (fourth flag).

I checked MySpace (fifth flag).

Applicant is now out of flags! Family photos of Grandpa on a broken lawn chair, surrounded by young dudes, all smiling, all raising their beers around a campground full of litter, does not thrill me. The dudes are dressed with low-riding baggy pants with their boxer shorts showing, stained t-shirts, sideway baseball caps and are displaying weird hand signs and toothy grins.

I can visualize the family BBQ in the parking lot, the clan hanging out with their coolers and police cruisers nearby. I do not want to catch up and reminisce with this old neighbor; we were never friends to begin with!

This applicant was very persistent; however, business manager and I did not budge. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment