Search This Blog

Saturday, October 13, 2012

I Almost Got Hurt!

Last year, the owners began exterior renovations on the complex: painted the buildings, which required extensive scraping of the exterior walls and decks; workmen replaced wood on the walkways and stairs; in general, quite a noisy mess. It was a struggle for us overseeing the renovation and for the tenants: Every few days it was a new request for the tenants to bear with us. But hey, have you ever been to New York City and walked for blocks under massive scaffolding: New Yorkers adapt.

We posted letters on each door describing expected work so that they could prepare. Still, there were complaints/issues:

Parking:

Every few days I would slowly walk the entire parking lot, picking up the nails, screws, and all scraps of metal that I call tire-killers. Hey, I park here too! Despite my diligence, more than a few of us still got flats. We asked tenants to park away from the decks and walkways to avoid debris, paint splatters and such from landing on their cars. Some didn’t and complained about damage. Really?

Caution-Workmen:

A tenant burst into our apartment, screaming that they were going to sue, because they ALMOST tripped over a piece of wood: Said piece of wood was smaller than a woman’s thumb. Now, I gotta ask…it was an open stairwell, clearly trashcans, buckets, tools, men and the sound of power tools would urge caution. There are two staircases, you are walking dogs…why would you choose the stairwell with power tools buzzing? Why would you scream that you ALMOST tripped? If so dangerous, why would you choose to come back up the same way, weaving through buckets, tools, lumber and men working?

I had to create and post “Under Construction” signage urging tenants to be cautious and use common sense. (Yes, those last two words were deliberate.)

Painting:

When it came time to paint the walkways, we carefully scheduled and informed the tenants on which times that they would not be able to enter/nor exit their apartments, and to please plan accordingly. We did our best to accommodate work schedules and other needs.

And yes, one dude, who does not work by the way, demanded, “Well, what if I have to leave?”

Me: “Plan your day so that you don’t have to.”

Dude: (Again.) “Well, what if I have to leave?”

Me: “If I see your boot tracks in the paint, you will be charged!”

Dude: “What if something comes up.”

Me: “You will plan ahead or you will be charged for re-painting.”

Thought that it should be simple. Oh, and we asked people to park away from the buildings while we painted. Of course, that didn’t go all that easy.

Home Depot:

Well it has been awhile since I wrote about my favorite store, which brings me to my other job: my boss sent me to Home Depot to just pick up a few things. I did warn her that because of these renovations, the staff knew me very well and that they could actually prolong this little errand. As I passed each department, staff came out to offer help, asked how projects were going, exemplified great customer service: all much appreciated, but this trip I wasn’t a contractor, just doing a small errand.

Boss did ask what took me so long, but she had been forewarned that I could be gone awhile. She laughed, but I did bring her back a cup of Dunkin’ so all was forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment