Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Home Depot Birthday

This year I celebrated a milestone birthday: I am just not saying which milestone. Circumstances cheated me out of celebrating the last two milestones, however, months earlier I informed my friends that we were going out to dinner, that presents were not required, but loud and noisy cards would be appreciated. I just wanted an evening of laughter and great conversation. I also took a day off from my other job because I wanted a home-spa day: sleeping late, long shower, a manicure and pedicure, simply an ‘I feel pretty day.’

Then I heard those two dreaded words: Home Depot. No!

Do NOT tell me that the handyman does not have his car!

Do NOT tell me that I have to not only drive you there, but that I have to help shop!

It is my birthday. Life is unfair.

Well, it is kind of fun, I do get to park my little hatchback in the PROs (contractors) parking spaces, alongside all the grimy work vans and pickup trucks. It is amazing that doors, paint and people will all fit into my car. (Although, admittedly the car does ride awfully low on some return trips.) I am the only contractor wearing lipstick.

This shopping trip is a big-un. The three of us all have our own separate missions and we know how to work the store, but this trip is turning into several hours of small problems. My ‘spa day’ is slipping away.

Finally, we are at the PROs desk to check out and the staff is doing their best to wrap up this expedition. I was starting to complain: it was my birthday; it was getting late; and I needed to get ready to go out and celebrate.

The fellow helping me turned, smiled, and asked me if it really was my birthday. Answered “Yep,” and even told him my age. Joey then wished me a happy birthday, gave me a hug, and then said that, I was “a breath of fresh air in this store,” noted that most of his customers are grumpy contractors and that I am “A refreshing change of pace.”

Awwwhhhh! Complaining stopped and I just smiled. Who could resist that charm?

BTW, I enjoyed this birthday for nearly two weeks with multiple dinners out with friends. I truly had fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment