Search This Blog

Monday, May 27, 2013

The Garden Grinch

Yes, there are days when I feel more like a playground monitor than a professional building manager. The tenants are theoretically adults: They are old enough to hold a job and sign a lease, but some, and it is really just a few, have the emotional IQ of a petty high school sophomore. Aaaargh!

This is a small complex, and I have been replacing plants that were destroyed by Hurricane Sandy: remember, we are 100 yards from that ocean which raged up our street and into our parking lot and onto our lawns, however, the ocean did not go INTO the apartments. Whew!

Although it is still very cold and rainy, we finally we caught a break in the weather and we went off and bought new plants. We had purchased new plumes of decorative grasses for the large pots that line the parking lot, which I planted, then I worked on the vegetable garden in the back.

Sea Grass Sea Grass

The Grinch actually dug out the Sea Grass! The root is the size of a small college textbook; the grass plumes are 2–3 feet high; it took some effort to rip it out of the pot. I found what was left of the plant in my vegetable garden, completely ripped and shredded with my plastic seedling trays crumbled over it.

To the Grinch: That petty vandalism says more about you than it does about me.

That wasn’t sad enough. We have a tenant with special needs, and I look out for him. He had admired the flowers in the rock garden and “wished that he had some.”
Awwhh, how sweet. I had enough Marigold seedlings leftover to fill three flower pots and I put them on the wall by his apartment; and he was genuinely appreciative for those small gifts.

The next morning, the Grinch stole one of the plants.

What a sad life the Grinch has: I can always buy new plants, however, they cannot buy themselves a decent heart and enjoy the gifts that life brings us everyday day!


No comments:

Post a Comment