Search This Blog

Sunday, October 20, 2013

I Need a Mommy Hug!

As I keep saying, this job is complicated, somewhat difficult to explain what odd moments fill up my day. It is expected that I should:

Collect rent;

Show apartments and prescreen applicants;

Clean-outs (they’re fun, beware people, I learn soooo much about you when you leave. Ha!);

Paint (even more fun);

Deal with some ornery and cranky contractors (and clean up after said cranky contractors);

Run a wet vac at 1:30 a.m. because a pipe in the foundation broke and spouted like a geyser (and it was damn cold);

Landscape (okay, that was fun, the flowers and veggies in the gardens just made me happy all spring and summer);

Solve personal problems (see my blog “Tenants: I am NOT your mommy.”);

And always exemplify customer service with a smile. (dratz!);

and the list can go on, Oh, which is why I write this blog!;

However, there are some wonderful moments . . .

We have a sweet young woman living here. She works so hard, patching together 2-3 jobs, and always cheery. But during the Fourth of July weekend, she came in to tell us that she would be late with her rent. While riding her bike to work, some #$@% jerk, shot out of an alleyway, plowed into her, wrecked her bike, and then demanded that since she was “just fine.” There was no need to call the police.

This DURING the 4th of July weekend. She is a waitress. The money weekend that would pay her bills for the summer!

She would be out of work for a week.

Plus Her bike was trashed.

And she flew thru the air.

Was the driver on his damn cell phone and couldn’t see her?

Cops and EMTs were called. A trip to the ER and she earned a week off from work. Poor thing was in tears.

Then she looked at me and said, “I need a mommy hug.”

Wow!

She got a big mommy hug.

Actually, a few mommy hugs over the next few days.

My little boy has become a grown man who plays with Apache helicopters, I miss giving ‘boo-boo’ type hugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment