Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Apologies for Not Posting

Heatstroke:

I have posted several stories about working in the gardens, plus repairing and reseeding the front lawn. I actually gave myself a nasty case of heatstroke. Couldn’t understand why my skin was burning as if I had a wicked sunburn, and my head was pounding. When I finally Googled the symptoms I was shocked.

I should have called the EMTs or gone straight to the Emergency Room! Whoa, despite that, earlier that day I carried 6 loads of laundry downstairs, weeded and watered the gardens and lawn.

I did declare later that day that I would spend the day in the big recliner with a ½ gallon of iced tea, lots of aspirin and have full control of the TV remote. I was sick.

I seriously hurt my hand:

That wasn’t bad enough, I chipped my knuckle. Somehow, in all that garden work, moving the rocks for the rock garden, lugging large planters around, I seriously damaged my middle knuckle.

Yep, woke up with my knuckles painfully swollen. We thought it was a spider bite, we joked that I punched out someone.

Jokes aside, for almost two weeks I walked around with a brace on my hand to protect it from any bumps, or handshakes.

It was so bad, I couldn’t type or even use a computer mouse. I do have a Kindle, good for web surfing and email, but that is a bit awkward for posting and designing.

Hot packs and cold packs were applied.

The medicine cabinet was raided hourly.

I should’ve gone to the doctor.

And the world doesn’t stop: food still must be prepared, dishes must be washed, and laundry must be hauled down to the laundry, then folded and carried back up. Fun with a busted up hand.

My thanks to friends and tenants who helped out and offered sympathy, it was much appreciated.

But this morning I can finally move my hand, I can type, and I got more stories to tell!

Summer tourist season is kicking in . . . and the surf, sand and boardwalk food will be calling all our names!


No comments:

Post a Comment