Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Good Tenants, part 2

Now to counteract a prior post where I vented and shouted AAARRGGH into the wind, let me extol the virtues of some really nice tenants:

Car Problems

My car was in the shop for days. May I get some sympathy? Getting around, going to work, running out for milk, ya know, all the necessary errands, became a logistics puzzle to be solved every day. I needed to bundle my errands carefully and cancel some plans. Se le vie.

My great thanks to some tenants who went out of their way on some fairly cold mornings to drive me around. One drove me to a job interview, cheered me on and made me laugh while on the way. I arrived early for the interview, calm and ready.

Another called everyday to ask if she could pick up anything for me. She also made sure that I had enough milk for coffee and even a few cigs on hand: two necessary evils. Sigh.

Another woman invited me to share a cab to the supermarket? Wow, it was wonderful to get out of Dodge for an hour or so.

Good Neighbors Pitch In

Now this apartment complex is a small community, some tenants are handicapped and need rides, some have needed a jump-start for their cars, a flat changed right away, help taking the dogs out for a walk, or needed a quick sitter, whatever, and I have watched tenants pitch in, help out, plus keep an eye out for each other.

Hurricane Sandy was a great example of people helping out, cooking up meals and passing them around, even to those who could have done for themselves, but did not plan well.

One fellow shared his box of mismatched cell phone charges for the car—they were pure gold during Sandy!

We have an elderly gent who walked out in the cold night air when a neighbor’s car alarm went off. He fiddled with the car until the alarm was silenced. He had the magic touch and saved the hapless woman a few $$.

Rarely do I hear such good Samaritans keeping tally and complaining.

We do have the few idiots who slip in, and gratefully they have never stayed long. And yes, I write about them . . . Face it those stories are funnier. Of course, there are the few who take credit for everything. Ha, we all know them very well!

But a ginormous Thank You to those who pitch in, go out of your way and smile while doing so: you are keepers.

No comments:

Post a Comment