Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2013

Finding Nemo . . . The Blizzard

Yes, those of us in the Northeast got our butts kicked one more time. Let me recap the weather of 2012:

  • One small earthquake;
  • One ginormous, Storm of the Century, a classic Hundred Year Storm . . . Hurricane Sandy;
  • Three Nor’easters;
  • And finally in early 2013, Nemo the Blizzard.

Again, we were glued to the weather stations, calculating which computer models were most likely to impact us; we were on the cusp of only rain, then 1-3” of snow, then 3-6” of snow.

Drat, a trek to Home Depot to stock up on salt for the walkways: Those bags are HEAVY!

Lucky me, one of the contractors picked it up for us. Yeah!

I must say, the tenants were really good this time around, not one dumb question about the storm and only two people left stuff on the decks. By the way, plastic chairs fly and flip down decks and around corners without rhyme or reason, pure dumb luck that those chairs had not crashed 3 floors down to the parking lot. If they are left out during the next storm, I may store them for him in our dumpster, just to be on the safe side of course.

Although one tenant upon hearing reports of a possible storm surge did panic and left for higher ground, but he did lose his vehicle in NYC during Sandy, so he wanted out of Dodge. I did correct his poor sense of direction . . . he thought to avoid the storm that he should drive northwest to New Brunswick. Sigh. New Brunswick is north of here, and slightly west, but he would have been heading directly into the storm and a known flood zone: The Raritan River is there, it’s pretty darn big, I suggested, ‘go southwest!’

Well, as for the storm, we got off easy. Yes, 6 inches of snow is a bit to shovel, and I did my part, but there were dudes who did the brunt of the work. Yippee. Hey, I was up at 6 a.m.! I shoveled 2 decks and 2 stairwells and that was enough for me.

Those of us in Central Jersey, or the Jersey Shore got off easy: the rest of the Northeast was hammered.

Rhode Island

Let’s show a little respect for this much-overlooked state: The major news stations have reported endlessly about the storm’s devastation throughout New York, particularly Long Island, then Connecticut and Massachusetts, but nothing about Rhode Island, after all they were hammered too. As Rodney Dangerfield cries, “I just don’t get no respect.”

But then again, I am sympathetic, as we suffer from endless Joisey jokes.

FORBES

I love this website for their often quirky commentaries. This one by Kenneth Rapoza made me laugh.

“In the meantime, authorities in both states said that fines upwards of $500 and a year in prison are possible for drivers caught venturing out in what has been the worst snow storm in the region since 2003 . . .

Meanwhile, I’ll be waiting for a crazy person to get arrested because they have to get to a Dunkin Donuts or want to see if Walmart is open.“

Thank you, because we all know those idiots who just need to go to the mall just because they now have a day off from work due to the statewide snow emergency!

No comments:

Post a Comment