Search This Blog

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Even the Cat is Fed Up with the Cold!

We all agree, this has been one so very long winter, and Spring is only teasing us with a few warmish days.

Some time ago, the cat began sleeping on my feet, and I always thought it was because she was finally warming up to me. Nah! In the winter, I use a heating pad for my Popsicle Toes (great jazzy song by Michael Franks).

This winter has been so freaking mean and long, I splurged on an electric blanket, and it is set to Thermal Nuclear Meltdown, every night. In fact, I turn it on long before bedtime to be sure that the bed is thoroughly cooked.

The heating pad was moved from the foot of the bed to the top, just under my shoulders. The cat moved too: She no longer sleeps on my feet; she pretty much took over the bed. It is AMAZING that a 5 pound cat can hog the entire bed!

The cat wants the electric blanket turned on, all day long.

During the day, she has learned how to demand that the heating blanket be turned on. I am not kidding, she will come out to wherever I am, dance, talk, then jump onto my bed, pace around and sniff where the clickers are! She has learned to differentiate the sound of each controller and curl up on that end of the bed.

The blanket will automatically shut-off during the night, it’s a safety feature, and during the night I will click the heating pad and blanket back on. One night, I only clicked the heating pad and the blanket went cold. The cat actually walked up the bed, and curled her furry body under my face, thus hogging the heating pad. I thought it was merely a coincidence. She has repeated that stunt many times this winter: Teach me not to keep the blanket cranking.

The Dog Could Care Less

Because the Lab is now 12 years old and his hips are giving him problems, I placed the heating pad on the floor just for him. I wrapped it in a towel, left it on the floor in his favorite spots, I even wrapped his hips with the heating pad, but he would shake it off, and then walk away.

We humans are suckers for our pets. The four-legged critters rule our homes, and our hearts. They are in charge of the house. Sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment