Search This Blog

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Winter Storm Juno Sucks!

Tuesday Morning

Yeah, we knew it was coming. However, the week before, a good friend was in a car wreck, and I had promised that I would drive around to pick up and drop off her paperwork; about 40-50 mile round trip on some very rural/country roads. Yeah, I left real early that morning in hopes of avoiding the storm.

By 10 a.m. that snow was blowing sideways, and I repeatedly called home to check on conditions. Glad I did the favor on Tuesday, roads were so dangerous Wednesday and Thursday.

It Was Minus What?!

This is not first snowstorm I have lived through. I survived living in Denver, CO! But this cold, plus the wind blowing off the ocean was unbearable. All any of us could work outside was 50 minutes, NOT even a full hour.

To Keep Warm

My living room became the warming station, lots of coffee served and a collection of shovels, miscellaneous hats and boots, plus pellets of Ice Melt coated the carpet. In other words, it was trashed.

On my sofa I tossed a hair dryer and an electric blanket; on the floor I placed a heating pad under a towel. Workers came in, kicked off boots, placed feet on heating pad, wrapped selves and coats in heated blanket, then used the blow dryer to quick warm up and dry off gloves and boots.

This Cold is MEAN!

It has been five days without a let up! I have been out there leading the team. I wanted to play the Girlie Card.

After the plow came through the parking lot, all cars had to be jockeyed out to Ocean Avenue¬about 75 yards away. That is a mean walk back: AGAINST the Wind. (No that is not the Seeger song. This link is. Sigh.)

Thankful for technology:

Nearly all tenants have cell phones: so easy to just text them all to move their cars in/out. They were so good!

Hot Chocolate

One of our newest tenants came knocking on the door, bearing a tray of hot chocolate for all us workers. Aaawwwh! I had been hunkered down, curled up under the heated blanket, but I sure got up for that, it hit the spot. She’s a keeper.

Busted Pipes

And this morning, as I harbored thoughts of sleeping in, huddled so comfy under the blankets, came the first call of a water leak.

Crap, but that is a topic for the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment