Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Enough with the Hugging!

Hugging is NOT the new Handshake! A good, solid, old-fashioned handshake is all that is necessary during introductions.

Just because I am new in your church, PTA or Amway meeting, does not grant you a full on hug! We just met. I didn’t catch your name.

I recently went to a new church, and while I was still standing after the singing, Miss Enthusiasm suddenly appeared at my side, rambling about how she did not get to greet me when I walked in.

Me thinking: Well, there was a woman at the door. She handed me a program and bid me welcome. That was sufficient.

Miss Enthusiasm wanted to welcome me to the church and hurriedly stated her name: I stepped back and extended my hand for a handshake.

But she wanted a hug, as I stepped back she dove in for a full enthusiastic hug. She got an air hug, the kind stars give on the Red Carpet. (And I left church early to avoid any more Enthusiastic huggers.)

What is wrong with respecting Personal Space?

Have you ever choked on cologne or perfume from the Hugger? And that perfume is now imparted to your clothes, then all day that super sweet, strong perfume follows you around, and other people think that it belongs to you. Crap!

And let’s not forget the out-n-out creep: As I stepped out the door leaving a house party, with my head turned still calling out my good-byes, I walked into a full-on body hug of the local Lothario…with a kiss that missed my lips, but lingered way too long on my neck.

And people think that I overreacted the next few times that I ran into him. Thoughts of a Taser gun still linger in my head. Sigh.

Let me explain: I am not a standoffish prude, but as a woman, I have been ambushed by hugs that were more invasive than an airport security sweep: Creepy.

All I’m asking is please save the hugs and kisses for family and close friends¬—and that includes not scaring the cute kids who have no idea that you are a long lost, and enthusiastic relative who only pops in at holidays.

Unless you are handing me a million dollar lottery check, then hug away.


1 comment:

  1. Does this mean you don't like the $1.99 recycled gallon pickle jar of "Vatten förorenat" special from Costco?

    ReplyDelete