Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Prospective Tenants: Sneaky Summer Rental Scams

We are a year-round only rental community–One Year Leases ONLY. However, we do receive our share of inquiries, some genuinely innocent, and a few downright sneaky.

Summer Rental Sneak #1

A woman came to the door, without an appointment, inquiring about a rental. Since I was in the middle of cooking (yes, I love my meals, burned or cold), I stepped outside to speak with her.

She is looking for rental, first she wants to do month-to-month, And THEN she will sign a yearly lease. She gave many excuses about her health (but would not share the details), relocating from Manhattan, and then wanting to check out the neighborhood before committing to a lease.

Bull! It was early Spring; she is looking for a cheap summer rental. We are 100 yards from the boardwalk and surf. We are not spending the money sprucing up an apartment, and paying the township fees only for you to decide in September that you want to move on. Did she think that she is the first person to pitch that con?

Happily, we are 100% occupied; the next vacancy will be late summer.

Moved her on.

Summer Rental Sneak #2

I was outside working on the front garden when a man stopped and inquired about summer rentals in the area. I obliged and suggested a few.

At some point, his wife walked up, and instead of joining the conversation, she stood behind him and avoided eye contact with me. That’s curiously rude.

Rude Couple: “Asked details about these units, price and availability.”

Me: “Sorry, no units currently available. We are not summer rentals, but the price would be $$$ for a year lease.”

Rude Couple: “Oh, for that price, it would be worth it for me to rent.”

Me thinking: Whoa! I am trying to build a good community with nice neighbors, the last thing I want is a vacant unit 9 months out of the year and I DO NOT want you, your family and friends descending upon us for 3 months of vacation partying, and grabbing every parking spot. Plus protecting a vacant unit. If you are RUDE to me now, how rude will you and your extended family be to other tenants when you come to visit?!

Me stated: “I’m sorry, we are fully occupied, and the units lack amenities such as dishwashers and stainless steel appliances.” The units are very nice, but I am not encouraging a 'summer rental option' to this rude couple!

Rude Couple walked away.

Whew!


No comments:

Post a Comment