Search This Blog

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Including the Kitchen Sink!

This day was so physically exhausting I was a @$@#$ zombie by dinnertime.

My day started very early: I drove a tenant to the hospital for some tests, stopped at the store, did five loads of wash, then drove back to hospital to picked up the tenant at the hospital. Who by the way, wasn't even ready when I was called to come get him, I had to physically hunt for him around multiple lobbies (but that is another blog).

Later we had a repair scheduled up on the third floor: Since this was a new contractor, I needed to stay close by to evaluate his work, plus help bring him supplies.

This was not a good day to wear clogs!

I learned that wearing clogs was not the smartest choice of footwear while trekking up and down three flights of stairs between the storeroom in the back and the apartment up top:

  • Down to the first floor workrooms to hunt for trim, and then hike back up;
  • Trek back down to hunt for caulk, and then hike back up;
  • Trek back down again for vacuum, and then hike back up;
  • Trek back down again for paint, and then hike back up;
  • Trek back down again for QuikCret, and then hike back up;

That night my calves ‘felt the burn’ and I decided I don’t ever need to join a gym.

Somewhere in between, I convinced Mr.-I'm-In-Charge to finally remove all the @#$#@$ storm doors that he had jammed under the stairwells and every #$#$ corner of the laundry room. (Tenants do not need to be looking at junk stored under exposed stairwells.) For some reason when I stated that I would walk across the street and ask the neighbor to come pick up the scrap metal, he went into action. THAT was a huge accomplishment.

Of course, while trekking up and down, other tenants stopped me to chat, and asked for a cigarette. Do I look like a vending machine?!

And yes, these forays into madness literally did include ditching the kitchen sink that had been rotting in the furnace room.

When this day was done, my brother-in-law took one look at my exhaustion and suggested Taco Bell for dinner. As much as the offer was appreciated, my first thought was, “Crap, I gotta drive?”

However, you gotta admit, driving in an air-conditioned car to pick up Taco Bell is far better than foraging in the fridge for a quick meal—then cooking it!

‘Twas a looong day, new contractor did an outstanding job, outside is looking spiffy with the junk removed, and of course, the pretty flowerpots are blooming all around the parking lot: so much was accomplished.

I just need to get in touch with my feminine self and go get a manicure, and perhaps a glass of wine!


No comments:

Post a Comment