Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

One Really Bad Job Ad

Job hunting is tough enough, some ads cram the company history, extensive software requirements, plus an incredible list of responsibilities, then will add a punch line for the requirements such as: High School diploma or GED, 2 years experience.

So this Secretary ad was posted on a recent job board (language is for real, I added the comments in italics, remember, I am an editor).

The Actual Ad with Comments:

Full time, established, small professional pleasant, busy office with flex hours. No weekends or evenings.

  • This is not a full sentence or coherent thought.
  • Comma needed between “professional pleasant”
  • Description of business?
  • Flex hours, so I can sorta come in late?

Variety of secretarial duties, (No phones), Draft reports, correspondence and Internet research.

  • Why is ‘No’ capped?
  • Commas before and after the parenthesis are redundant.
  • Why is ‘Draft’ capped, it doesn’t start a sentence, however, points for capping “Internet.”

Skills: Proficient with PC’s, Microsoft Office; Word, Outlook. Photoshop or Image Expert, (Or similar) . Excellent grammar, minimum 60 words per minute.

  • PC is marked possessive here, or is it how many plural PCs must I operate—separately or at the same time?
  • A semi-colon does not precede a list!
  • What the heck is “image expert” or similar?
  • Again, a comma BEFORE parens?
  • “Excellent grammar”…Have you actually read your copy?! (Maybe English is your 3rd language, if so, pardon me.)
  • What is 60 words per minute? My reading speed or must I assume 60 typing?

Must be professional self starter, organized, able to multi-task, detail oriented, interest in the Arts a plus. Salary based on abilities.

  • Where is the hyphen? ‘Self-starter’ would be correct
  • “Organized.” Why bother, the writer is not organized, why should the candidate even try?
  • Multitask is one word, way overused, but still is one word.
  • “Detail oriented,” Whew, because details are lacking here.
  • “Interest in the Arts” finally a clue to the business!
  • Why is salary mentioned here AND at the end of this convoluted mess?

Paid vacation and benefits available.

  • A long vacation and massive benefits will be required. (Meds may also be necessary.)

E-mail resume and salary requirement, do not list salary negotiable. Immediate opening - with training.

  • Does all this information belong on the same line?
  • “Immediate opening” scares me, I can only speculate why the last person left.
  • Poor use of a hyphen: Hyphens connect words; en dash between dates; and em dash between words. Maybe only word geeks know that.
  • WHAT training besides the software requirements listed above?

No phone calls please. Thank you.

  • Ya didn’t list a #$@#$ phone number for me to call!
My reply:

So this was actually part of my cover letter:

“However, I am curious about the job description that was posted, as it is rather chaotic and full of grammar and typographical errors, which invites me to speculate: is this part of the pre-interview test or do you really need a word-warrior as myself?”

If this company calls me back I will definitely let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment