Search This Blog

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Home Depot Parking Lot Laughs

While the guys were still inside wrapping up the latest shopping trip, I went outside and moved my little hatchback into the contractor’s pick-up area. While sitting out there, I watched a comedy show as two contractors in front of me struggled to load a dryer into a work van.

I had to admire them, the older man was doing his best to maneuver the dryer on a dolly to line up with the door of the van, and then hold it steady while the younger dude struggled to shove it in.

It wasn’t going well. It took a few attempts. At one point, part of the dolly was so far under the van I feared for the muffler and undercarriage. Finally, the young man climbed into the van and the two men managed to shove the dryer in, trapping the one man inside.

Young dude was a good 6’ tall, and yes, quite studly. But nevertheless, he had to duck-walk his way out: hunched over, arms braced for balance, slipping and sliding over assorted supplies and tools now strewn across the floor.

It was like watching someone crawl through a child-sized fun house obstacle course.

Finally, and not too gracefully, the young dude stumbled out, almost into the arms of his boss.

Laughing, I applauded, very loudly, making sure they heard me.

The boss turned around, saw me, and exclaimed, “I KNEW you were watching us!”

Me: “Yep, it was a great show, but I’ve been there too.”

Young man gave a bow.

It was a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment