Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Telephone SCAM ALERTS!!


There are so many deceptive and even threatening phone scams and many otherwise smart people have caved into these high pressured and even threatening scam artists.
u And don't be polite: Hang Up on Them!! They are thieves!

The following have scams I have received in ONE month!
FIRST Scam:
I am sure everyone has received the robo calls for your car warranty. I actually answered n played along until they asked my name and I replied, "YOU called me! If you have my warranty information surely you SHOULD have my name and all car info!
u One poor guy who answered said that 'he gets paid minimal wage to do this.'
u I felt bad for him but still hung up.

But the following have been so intimidating n could have cost real money.
SECOND Scam:
I just happened to be there when my friend received a very aggressive call allegedly from JCP&L demanding his account numbers, and personal information as he had a $130 credit due him.
I took the phone, caller confirmed he was from JCP&L n insisted that I must answer all his questions and GIVE them all the account numbers!
I hung up--THEY called back angry that I did so!
Finally I demanded that he say my name, "Since you called me regarding my account, you must know my name...What Is My Name!"
The next day I reported the numbers to JCP&L n asked if they would check my friend's account as he did give out his numbers
THIRD Scam:
Social Security called me about alleged criminal activity on my account and am now being investigated by the Federal Marshall's office and the DEA!! Wow something about my account being connected with terrorists!!
Woke me up!! I was urged to call an 866 number immediately!
I am pretty sure if all that was happening; a SWAT team would have showed up at my home first!
I reported it to Social Security, a simple online form.
FOURTH and FIFTH Scams:
Both Microsoft and Apple called alerting me that "my computer called them." Seriously!! I'm going to assume they would insist on a very expensive repair or warranty issue and let them have all my personal info and credit card numbers too!
My reply was to laugh and ask "Which one called?" I then rattled on about all my equipment plus iPhones and iPads. Caller stammered and I hung up.
These callers are so aggressive, demanding and threatening. The JCP&L caller almost scammed my friend for his information. He is elderly and not as sharp as he once was. He later told me he had received another similar call and followed my advice to simply hang up: which he did. Whew!
Millions of dollars are reported scammed every year, don't be intimidated by high pressure salesmen or be embarrassed if you have lost money, be aware and report it n maybe help close these jerks. Yes, it's like cutting off the heads of the mythical Hydra, but you just can't assume someone else will do it and it's not your fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment