Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Sunflowers R.I.P.

So sad, these two ginormous sunflower trees have delighted and amazed all who passed by and admired them; many used them for photo ops. It was grand to see them every single time I came back home.

They were over 8’ tall, and so laden with flowers, that we tied them to the railings, and then we had to adjust those ties frequently. But, alas, despite our care, one toppled over and snapped at the base. The stalk was over an inch in diameter.

At the far right, you can see that I dropped my purse and packages on the sidewalk, surveyed the damaged and just snapped a quick pix or two.

Then I went upstairs, grabbed scissors and salvaged as many flowers as possible.

Wow, they do look spectacular around the home: I even passed out some flowers to a few neighbors.


These flower heads have a whole lot of seeds. The ones with black seeds are standard sunflowers, one flower per stalk. The others are from the massive ‘trees’ that have a dozen or more flowers per stalk.

I am saving them, passing around the neighborhood. Can’t wait to see what will grow next Spring!


3 comments:

  1. This from my cousin, How to Cook a Sunflower:
    https://www.yahoo.com/food/how-to-cook-a-sunflower-95128693661.html
    I don't know, I'll just harvest the seeds and plant in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a very large pumpkin vine growing in that little rock garden: Big yellow flowers, don't the pumpkins will grow in time. I'm a good cook, just not sure if the world is ready for any sunflower souffles coming from my kitchen. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for cooking those flowers, the squirrels and birds have beat me to them, but I promise I will try ONE next season!

    ReplyDelete