Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

And This One was Wearing His Bathrobe

This stuff simply cannot be made up or exaggerated!

This little encounter with a prospective tenant had two parts: the first included Bathrobe Dude at my front door; the second part was seen by a neighbor, which confirmed my "O Hell No!" assessment.

First flag

Bathrobe Dude, knocked on my door and asked: “Do you do Section 8?” (Section 8 is subsidized housing.)

Me: “Yes, but I don’t have any available units.”

Bathrobe Dude ignored my reply and began rambling about another tenant, a party a few years ago, yadda yadda.

Me, referring to his friend: “He’s not here.”

Bathrobe Dude: “Oh, he’s a fly-by-night.”

Me: “Huh?” The neighbor is not ‘here,’ I happen to know that he is simply out.

Bathrobe Dude is now reciting the names of many local apartments, their managers and friends who live there. But he never asked details ABOUT these apartments, such as price, size, inclusions, and future availability. Yowzer, you are so not a choice candidate.

Second Flag

As he is rambling, I noticed that what I thought he was wearing, a long, military style coat was actually a bathrobe! I am not kidding, it is winter! He was wearing his bathrobe.

I give him credit, he almost carried it off: he wore a matching wool scarf, and the ‘coat’ was clean and neatly belted, but clearly it was NOT a coat. It did not have any buttons, nor cuffs, and it had a very plain fabric belt. It was a freaking bathrobe!

He asked for my card, I pointed to the number on the sign out front and bid him farewell.

Third Flag

My neighbor came down to see if we were safe. She had watched the man pace frantically back and forth in front of the building. She watched him walk up the stairs, knock on my door then peer through my window.

Wow! A sneaky Peeping Tom.

I thanked her and reassured her that he ain’t renting here.


No comments:

Post a Comment