Search This Blog

Monday, December 16, 2013

More Sneaky Prospective Tenants

Prospective Tenants Do Not Disrespect Me!

The Business Manager called, stated that she was concerned about a prospective tenant that she was sending over, and asked that I carefully question the applicant.

A woman arrived, accompanied by a man, but I spotted a second man climbing out of the back seat, clutching a MacDonald’s brown bag.

Why would you bring lunch to view an apartment?

When showing an apartment, I usually wait for ALL parties, give the tour, then ask questions, but this woman just breezed through each room, and demanded, “What upgrades are you planning?”

Me, thinking: “Wow, can we introduce each other first, and don’t you care what is included in the rent?”

AFTER introductions were made, I stated: “New paint and all new carpets only.” Judging by your frown as you rummaged through every cabinet and drawer, were you expecting a complete remodel just for your highness? Perhaps top-of-the-line appliances and cabinets.

I introduced myself and asked who would be renting here, looked at the woman and the first young man, but the woman simply answered that she was, and the first young man shook his head. (Clearly the implication was that ONLY this woman would be living here.)

By this time the second fellow has come in: no introductions.

I asked about her employment and income, then expressed my doubts that she could manage on her own.

At that point, Dude No. 2, boldly stepped forward and laughed: “That would be me, I bring the money.”

Little smart-ass, are you the dealer? Numbers runner?

Me, glaring at Dude No. 2: “Excuse me, I am used to someone introducing themselves to me when they enter the room. Let’s start again: My name is … and you are…?” Clearly he needed a lesson in manners and respect.

When he introduced himself as the husband, I turned to the woman, a bit snarky, and reminded her that she had stated that the apartment was for her, nothing was said about a husband. She actually defended herself that the apartment IS for her. Am I the only one who doesn’t buy that?

I CLEARLY asked just how many people would be living here, only then they admitted that they have a three-year old child: as she had been repeatedly tugging at her jacket, I suspect she was hiding a baby-bump?

OK, I was officially done. These people are rude, a bit sneaky and have wasted my time.

Me, very blunt: “This is a ONE bedroom apartment and the Code Department states that only TWO people may live here, when discovered, you will pay a $1,000 fine for violating the townships’ code.”

Idiots! I am the apartment manager, if you try sneaking something past me BEFORE you even get an application, why the heck should I trust you to LIVE HERE?! This conversation was over.

The Business Manager was immediately called: Those guys were never offered an application.

My parting thoughts: “Please let the screen door hit you in your a** on the way out.”


No comments:

Post a Comment