Search This Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Another Rude Prospective Tenant
or How to Guarantee me writing about you!

There was a nasty eviction this summer: left behind furniture, cabinets and closets full of grungy clothes and greasy kitchen gear. Miserable with a capital S.O.B.

It was tough trying to clean, sort and dispose of it all, and then try to show that apartment. Most prospective tenants were sympathetic, one opportunistic.

A certain Blonde came by with her Social Worker, rather aggressive, telling me that the paperwork was 'all signed and ready to go.' Never told me ‘what’ paperwork: Section 8? FEMA? Special Needs? How was it subsidized?

Social Worker, pushy: “The paperwork is ready, my client (the Blonde) could move in tomorrow.”

Me: “Sorry, there is a process and there have been quite a few people interested in this apartment.”

Social Worker: “But this place is perfect, we’ll take it.”

Me, again: “There are a number of applicants and I do not make the final decision.”

Social Worker, now calculating: “What are you doing with all this furniture?”

Me: “I still have to sort it and see what is worth donating.”

Social Worker: “Well, what if the tenant wants it?!”

Me, thinking: “Whoa! Not only do I get to clean this apartment, I get to clean the furniture for you, free. Yaaay! What a deal for you!”

Me, clearly stating: “No, it will be donated.” And a few schools received some great art gear for their students.

A Month Later at 8:00 PM

The Blonde knocks on my door.

It is 8 PM. I am finishing a late dinner.

She has a little dog, a breed known to be yappy (my cousin had one), she is rambling on and on and on how, “Just how much she loves this place.”

It is 8 PM! Aaargh!

Me: “I’m sorry, the owner chose another applicant, and we do not have any available units.”

Blonde: she continued yapping about how she loves this place and has all this paperwork ready.

Me: “Please feel free to call the main office and check to see if any units are available. Good night.” And I went back inside.

Another Month Later at 8:35 PM

The Blonde knocks on my door.

I am in my jammies. Yeah, it has been a very long few weeks with no days off and I was tired! (Yes, I know that last sentence was grammatically incorrect, I am still tired! Sigh.)

The Blonde blabs about the moth on my door, that the dog is not hers, that she just loves, loves, loves this place.

I think she may be inebriated or under the influence of several meds. I made sure I got her name.

Then the Blonde asks: “So what happened to the furniture?”

First, I don’t answer to her, I answer to the owners.

Second, I clearly tell her, that although we are live-in managers, it is 8:35 at night. We don’t show apartments without an appointment this late at night.

Third, I clearly tell her that tenants respect our privacy, and unless there is an emergency, no one knocks on our door.

Blonde, continues to blather: love, love, love this place.

I turned, closed the door while she was still yapping.

I called the business manager the next morning; put a red flag on that name.

Blondes aren't really supposed to be that dumb.


No comments:

Post a Comment